Skip to main content

Sena Nur Yıldırım, Founder of Seyyar Dükkan

"My name is Sena. I'm a 20 year old with dreams. Seyyar Dukkan is a second-hand clothing brand. I built my studio with wooden sticks and a ladder on my terrace. My family and friends didn't take it seriously till I started to get attention. As always, some people weren’t into it, to them second hand clothing is second hand and just low. Something to be ashamed of. Talking to those kind of people weren't easy, especially with social media. But social media also worked to my benefit.

Seyyar Dukkan was a small step, taken by a small girl (me!) When she noticed she had more clothes than she needs, she understood that things needed to change. This mindset led her into minimalism and Seyyar Dukkan was born.

I realized that less was actually more, I started to ask friends around me how important clothes were to them. Is it a shirt you need or is it 'that shirt' you need?
"A gorgeous skirt which I really like, but don't need, can't take me to a city worth seeing, or it can't be a companion, like books. We don't need every clothing item we see. What the would really needs is to see, learn, explore the world. We need to understand each other. It’s all about your mindset. I make mistakes and I'll continue to do so. I’ve learnt already that each mistake makes me stronger, and more experienced.

Do everything you want to as a business. Don't dream about the job, you can rest when you are retired! Find something that that you enjoy doing.
Water the plants in your mind."

-Sena Nur Yıldırım, Founder of Seyyar Dükkan



"Seyyar dükkan minik bir kızın değişimi için attığı ilk adımdır. Dolabının karşısına geçip üç köyün ahalisini giydirecek kıyafet olduğunu gördüğünde bir şeyler yapması gerektiğini anlayan Sena, minimalizm, azla yetinmek veya adına her ne deniliyorsa bu yolculuğa baş koydu. Sadeleşme ihtiyacını, maddi bağımsızlık isteğini ve hobilerini birleştirdiğinde ortaya Seyyar Dükkan çıktı. İkinci el ürünler ve sade yaşam sohbetleri ile başlayıp çocukluğumuzda olduğu gibi artık bize olmayan parçaları ihtiyacı olan bir başkasının dolabına sektirmeye başladık.

Artık daha fazlanın her zaman daha iyi olamayacağını biliyorum. Azın ne kadar çok olabileceğini öğrendiğimden beri herkesi ‘ihtiyaç’larını sorgulamaya davet ediyorum. İhtiyacımız olan bir gömlek mi yoksa ötekinin giydiği marka gömlek mi? İkinci seçeneğe yakın hissediyorsanız hemen elinizdeki gömleği bir görevliye teslim edip uzaklaşmanızı tavsiye ederim.
İhtiyacım olmayan ama çok güzel olan bir etek, gezmek istediğim bir şehre beni götüremiyor. Bana aynı parayla alabileceğim kitaplar kadar iyi yarenlik edemiyor.
Sahiden ihtiyacımız olanı size söyleyeyim. İhtiyacımız olan gezmek, görmek, öğrenmek, ötekini anlamak, ötekinden evvel kendimizi anlamak.

Ben bu işe başlarken evimin terasında tahta parçaları ve merdivenden iskele ile stüdyo kurarak başladım. Ailem ve arkadaşlarım yaptığım şey başarılı olana kadar beni ciddiye almadılar. İkinci el kıyafetleri sevenleri hor görenler epey yolumu kestiler. Sosyal medyada sürekli fikir beyan etme hastalığına kapılmış birtakım insanlara laf anlatmak kolay olmadı. İkinci elin düşkünlük belirtisi olmadığını anlatmak ve bu kültüre alıştırmak da oldukça zor idi. Sadece hiçbir şeyle yatışmayan yürek telaşı sizi istediğiniz yere götürüyor.

Ben Sena, 20 yaşındayım ve hayallerim var. Bizden biriyim. Merakım ve öğrenme açlığım beni sürekli deneme yanılma yoluna götürüyor. Hatalar yapıyorum ve bir sonraki hataya hazırlanıyorum. Her seferinde daha çok tecrübe kazanıp daha çok büyüyorum. 
Hiçbir mukayeseye gerek duymadan yapabileceğinizi bildiğiniz her işe girin ve öğrenin. Emekli olunca yatıp dinlenmeyi hayal ettiren işi değil, çalışırken de dinlendiren işi bulmanın önemi çok büyük. 
Zihninizdeki ağaçları sulamayı unutmayın."

-Sena Nur Yıldırım, Seyyar Dükkan'ın kurucusu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suna Tufan, Founder of Sahhane Restaurants

“I was born in Konya, Turkey in 1976. I studied Business and Theology at university. After graduation, I worked in different companies, both Turkish and international. When I had my children I stopped working and I devoted myself to raising them. In 2007, I started my first business, Şahhane Restaurant in Ankara. One of the biggest motives behind starting the restaurant is the fact that I wanted a non-alcoholic place for conservative people where they could have a good time with their family accompanied with live music. I personally thought there was a need for such a place, after a while we had to change our concept since the demand was low. Now we're serving in a hall where people hold ceremonies like weddings and graduations. After becoming successful, we opened another branch again in Ankara. In addition to my restaurants, I'm also managing a gas station which was left to me from my dad. I wasn't wearing the hijab before 2007, that’s the same year I turned back t

Sümeyra Teymur, Founder of QRAS

“My name is Sümeyra Teymur. I graduated from Ankara University with a degree in Theology. I then did my masters at Marmara University and my PhD at İstanbul University. When I finished with school, I continued working in the digital publishing sector, where I was working at, part-time, as a student. I worked in different positions on Haberler.com. Now, I'm the CEO. I also started a textile brand called QRAS. We produce dresses for women who love social life and take an active role in it. We're selling in both domestic and international markets. Ever since I can remember, I’ve always had something to do, I keep myself busy. I love working and constantly improving myself. I’ve attended various seminars and conferences in different countries. The reason I tell you this, is because my entrepreneurship journey began while I was doing all these things. Learning, seeing, and improving myself. I’ve been working in the digital publishing sector for 12 years now. You have to know a

Rümeysa Memiş, Founder of Rehrev

"My name is Rümeysa. I majored in Industrial Design and I’m now doing my Masters in History of Art. I was an exchange student in South Korea and this opportunity, strangely enough, got me interested in Turkish arts and crafts. I started to think about designs based around the Turkish culture. I felt as though there was an absence of cultural topics in my design education, this was what led me to design stuff at home. I fell in love with Turkish embroidery and saw the richness of our culture. That’s how I created Rehrev. I took an embroidery course over a year. I did as much research as I could to come up with different designs. I then applied to an institution for entrepreneurs, and presented my business idea, fortunately I got accepted. After that I started to produce my hand bands. My studio is still new and I've a lot more to learn. Since I work alone, I'm having a hard time taking care of every aspect of my business. I believe in my initiative and know that every