Skip to main content

Efnan Ghoneam, Founder of Zerkubi

“My name is Efnan Ghoneam. I graduated from faculty of education and worked as a teacher for 4 years. I was a teacher but my mind was occupied elsewhere: I wanted to start my own jewelry company.

I’ve always been into jewelry and since both my sister and my cousin work in the jewelry industry, my entrepreneurship journey began designing with them as a hobby and starting a page on social media (Yıldız Takı Tasarım) in 2013.

When I first started, I was a full-time school teacher and working with jewelry on the side as a hobby. I wanted to start my business but quitting my job and making jewelry wasn't an option or a good decision according to the people around me.
Having a university degree suddenly become something that was holding me back rather than pushing me to succeed. I couldn't focus on the things I wanted to do, due to social pressure. Things changed after I got married, I quit my job and had my baby. I put my all efforts into my business.

I didn't have people I could consult around me, and social media wasn't a sales platform like it is now. I needed to educate myself on the legal side, on how to run a business so I decided to take a break. I spent the year on trainings which would be useful for my brand, digital marketing seminars, photography classes, and so on. After years of teaching in school, I became a student again.

In 2017, we started ‘Zerkubi’ which means shaping gold in Persian. We started selling silver and made-to-order gold jewelry.
We attended different festivals, worked hard and reached so many people we eventually became a loved brand. We then started getting offers from design stores, shopping malls and we even got international collaboration offers from outside Turkey.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have ignored the negativity, became more determined and spent my free time getting knowledge on starting up. I didn't have monetary expectations when I first started. I knew if I could make it work, money would follow.

In the beginning, all our profit was being reinvested to growing our business. At times, our team would put in their own money for the brand. Our products are now sold in two different stores in Istanbul, and we produce for many firms. We’ve come a long way. One of our goals is to become a world's leading jewelry brand and a brand which has showrooms all around the world.
My advice to business enthusiasts: don't make your goal getting money. Also, choose your team wisely, hire people that are passionate as you are.

In the two years since starting, we didn't have a single dissatisfied customer. I'm proud to be a Muslim woman in business and having a great team to work with.”

-Efnan Ghoneam, co-founder of Zerkubi.



“Adım Efnan Ghoneam. Eğitim fakültesinden mezun olup 4 yıl öğretmen olarak görev yaptıktan sonra çocukları ve mesleğimi sevmeme rağmen aslında ruhumda bir girişimcinin olduğunu ve sürekli fikirleriyle beni farklı bir yöne doğru sürüklediğini fark ettim. Takılara olan ilgim, kardeşimin ve kuzenimin de bu sektörde olması sebebiyle, birlikte bazı tasarımlar yapıp sadece hobi olarak 2013 yılında sosyal medya üzerinden bir hesap (Yıldız Takı Tasarım) açmam ile girişimcilik serüvenime başlamış oldum. 

Evlendikten sonra öğretmenliği bıraktım önce bebeğimin olmasıyla da takı işime ara vermiş oldum (2015). 

2017'de yeni bir isimle , farsça altın işleyen anlamına gelen Zerkubi Jewelry'yi kurduk. Gümüş ve isteğe göre altın takı alanında hizmet vermeye başladık. Çeşitli festivallere katılıp daha geniş kitlelere ulaştık, sevilen tercih edilen bir marka haline geldik.
Buradan sonra çeşitli tasarım dükkanları, alışveriş merkezleri ve yerel pazarlardan tutun da uluslararası ortaklık ve işbirliği teklifleri gelmeye başladı. İstanbul'da 2 mağazada ürünlerimizin bir süre satışı oldu. Çeşitli firmalardan kurumsal özel mücevher hediyelikleri teklifleri alıp teslim ettik. Yeni işbirlikleri için ise markamız için uygun olacak tekliflerimizi değerlendirmeye devam ediyoruz.
Önce yurtiçinde, sonra da yurtdışında bir dünya markası haline gelmek ve çeşitli ülkelerde showroomu olan bir mücevher markası olmak hedeflerimiz arasında.

Sektöre ilk girdiğimde öğretmen olarak çalışıyordum. İsteğim hobimi marka haline getirmekti fakat çevremde ''altın bileziğimi'' bırakıp esnaflık yapmak cahilceydi. Diploma sahibi olmak bana destek değil köstek olmuştu. Çevre baskısıyla tam olarak odaklanamıyordum. Evlendikten sonra mesleğimi bırakıp kararlı bir şekilde başladıktan sonra insanların tavrı da değişmeye başladı. Bu karşılaştığım ilk sorun diyebilirim. Diğerleriyse resmi bir şirket olmamam ve çok planlı, ileriye dönük bir şekilde yürütemememdi. Anlık ve kısa süreli planlar yaptığım için 1.5 yıl sonra bıraktım. Etrafımda danışabileceğim kişiler yoktu, sosyal medya henüz ticaret platformu haline gelmemişti. Başarılı olmak için yaptığım işle ilgili eğitimlere ihtiyacım vardı.
Ara verdiğim süre markam için ihtiyacım olabilecek dijital pazarlama, fotoğrafçılık, sosyal medya yönetimi gibi alanlarda eğitimlerle geçti. Yıllarca eğiten kişi olmaktan çıkıp öğrenci olmaya karar verdim yani:) Bu öğrencilik de bir girişimcinin asla bitti diyebileceği bir şey değildir:) İş hayatında her gün yeni bir şeyler öğrenmeye kendimizi geliştirmeye mecburuz.

Şimdiki aklım olsaydı kimseye kulak asmaz boş zamanlarımı markamı kurmak için gerekli olacak eğitimleri almakla harcardım. Seminerlere gider, ticaretle ilgili kitaplar okur, marka nasıl kurulur öğrenirdim. 
Bu işi yaparken para beklentim olmadı. Başarı gelirse para da peşinden gelecektir. Bunu tek hedefim yaptım.
Kazandıklarımız kendi cebimize girmedi, hep markamızı büyütmek için kullandık. Yeri geldi ekibimdeki herkes cebinden para koydu.

Yeni başlayacaklara tavsiyem şu olabilir; iş kurarken amacınız çok kazanmak olmasın, bir değer oluşturmak, başarılı olmak olsun ve ekibiniz olacaksa en az sizin kadar tutkulu ve özverili çalışacak insanlardan oluşsun.

Zerkubi'nin en ilginç yanı belki de dışardan hiç bir destek almadan kendi içinde yoğruluyor olması. Tüm fotoğraf çekimleri kendime ait olmak üzere, ihtiyacımız olan her şeyi ekip içerisinde tamamlayarak Zerkubi'yi büyütmeye devam ediyoruz. 
Planlarımızı öngörülü bir şekilde yapıp emin adımlarla ilerlemekten ve 2 yıldır Zerkubi'nin tek bir müşterisini bile mutsuz etmemiş olmaktan büyük mutluluk, Müslüman bir kadın olarak da iyi bir ekiple iş hayatında olmaktan büyük bir gurur duyuyorum.

-Efnan Ghoneam, Zerkubi Jewelry'nin kurucusu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suna Tufan, Founder of Sahhane Restaurants

“I was born in Konya, Turkey in 1976. I studied Business and Theology at university. After graduation, I worked in different companies, both Turkish and international. When I had my children I stopped working and I devoted myself to raising them. In 2007, I started my first business, Şahhane Restaurant in Ankara. One of the biggest motives behind starting the restaurant is the fact that I wanted a non-alcoholic place for conservative people where they could have a good time with their family accompanied with live music. I personally thought there was a need for such a place, after a while we had to change our concept since the demand was low. Now we're serving in a hall where people hold ceremonies like weddings and graduations. After becoming successful, we opened another branch again in Ankara. In addition to my restaurants, I'm also managing a gas station which was left to me from my dad. I wasn't wearing the hijab before 2007, that’s the same year I turned back t

Sümeyra Teymur, Founder of QRAS

“My name is Sümeyra Teymur. I graduated from Ankara University with a degree in Theology. I then did my masters at Marmara University and my PhD at İstanbul University. When I finished with school, I continued working in the digital publishing sector, where I was working at, part-time, as a student. I worked in different positions on Haberler.com. Now, I'm the CEO. I also started a textile brand called QRAS. We produce dresses for women who love social life and take an active role in it. We're selling in both domestic and international markets. Ever since I can remember, I’ve always had something to do, I keep myself busy. I love working and constantly improving myself. I’ve attended various seminars and conferences in different countries. The reason I tell you this, is because my entrepreneurship journey began while I was doing all these things. Learning, seeing, and improving myself. I’ve been working in the digital publishing sector for 12 years now. You have to know a

Rümeysa Memiş, Founder of Rehrev

"My name is Rümeysa. I majored in Industrial Design and I’m now doing my Masters in History of Art. I was an exchange student in South Korea and this opportunity, strangely enough, got me interested in Turkish arts and crafts. I started to think about designs based around the Turkish culture. I felt as though there was an absence of cultural topics in my design education, this was what led me to design stuff at home. I fell in love with Turkish embroidery and saw the richness of our culture. That’s how I created Rehrev. I took an embroidery course over a year. I did as much research as I could to come up with different designs. I then applied to an institution for entrepreneurs, and presented my business idea, fortunately I got accepted. After that I started to produce my hand bands. My studio is still new and I've a lot more to learn. Since I work alone, I'm having a hard time taking care of every aspect of my business. I believe in my initiative and know that every